Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

INTO THE LOOKING GLASS

“Carcasses of animals, their tails and feet and privates intact hang from hooks above the wooden tables where we sit, and from these unrecognizable animals, meat is carelessly hacked and placed on a brazier fanned with cardboard.” That’s an attention grabber right there. I’d been reading Barbara Grizzuti Harrison’s account of her 1991 visit through Morocco by car and was beginning to understand quite clearly that I had less than 48 hours before I, like Alice, would be jumping into the Looking Glass-at least a culinary one. Not that it was a new sensation; I often backpack into strange places – remote, secret, unfriendly to all but the most dedicated desert rat. But I’d never had my food hacked off an animal carcass to be thrown on a brazier right before my eyes – and nose.

Yeah, I watched Food, Inc. I pride myself on being careful where I acquire my food. I don’t like to think of eating meat that has been butchered from a cow that is so stuffed with high caloric ‘fatteners’ that it can no longer stand on its own four legs. But in just a few days really I will be fed from what we Westerners might think of as an inhumanely slaughtered animal. We Westerners are often far removed from the source of our food. Oh well. At least it will be local – very.

I have that feeling one gets when one knows the world will suddenly be very, very different. Fortunately, my transition to Morocco begins in cosmopolitan Madrid. I will visit the Prado, one of the most extensive and best art museums in Europe. I intend to find a few jazz clubs to introduce me to jazz with Spanish influences. I want to visit Madrid’s Chrystal Palace in Parque del Retiro and see what beautiful flowers grow there. I hope to visit the Mercado San Miguel, where the food is said to be ‘unlimited and top-notch.’ I will spend three lovely days in a luxury hotel in the right across from the Prado. It will be much like other cosmopolitan centers, expensive and rich in culture. The trick for enjoying these very civilized cities is to discover the unique richness that it offers. This takes quite a bit of listening and observing but I have no doubt I will find it.

Then, too few short hours after that visual, gastronomic and musical feast, I climb on a smallish airplane on the airline most popular with European college students, RyanAir, that only has room in the luggage racks for 20” suitcases, a privilege for which you have to pay. In just a couple of hours, my plane will land in Marrakesh Morocco, one of the four Imperial cities of the long line of Sultans, who have ruled Morocco for centuries. It is predicted to be blisteringly hot, hotter than even this desert rat is used to. And my hosts have no air conditioning.

Boumalne du Dades by Jerzy Strzeleck

Marrakesh is on the southern edge of the ‘civilized’ part of Morocco. Its famous souk (an impossible maze of shops with ‘streets’ that are often so narrow as to accommodate only two people abreast) will be full of mysterious offerings – snake charmers with their cobras, potion sellers, rug merchants, jewelers and thieves. After a few short days there, I will continue my journey up into the Atlas Mountains, a range that slashes Morocco in half from the north to south, to Boumalne, a small town in the verdant Dades Valley. I am hopeful from there I will get to visit Ouarzazate, the oasis gateway to the Sahara, and then maybe the fabled Saraha desert itself with its tall and turbaned Berbers and striking scenery.

I think a looking glass is a wonderful metaphor for the kind of travel I may be undertaking. Having visited Mexico and Southern China, I know that it is possible for everything to look at least similar but feel very, very different. That is exactly what travel is about – turning your notion of reality on its ear.

After all my reading, I am certain I will love beautiful Madrid with its gorgeous buildings, its international flare and its verdant parks. But Morocco? I admit I am apprehensive about the heat, the smells and other-worldliness I might find. I am perhaps even more apprehensive I will fall in love with the Sahara desert, Morocco’s colorful souks and mysterious medinas, its stalwart and faithful people, its exotic sensuousness. I may find myself feeling like a calorie-counter at a delectable smorgasbord – delighted by its succulent sweets but so very disappointed at having to sample so little and leave so much untouched. I am afraid mysterious Morocco will have me firmly in its grip and will lure me back to finish my sampling.

No comments:

Post a Comment