Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

MOTHER'S WINTER CLOAK

I love sunsets. I love mountains. I love snow. Sometimes, if I am really lucky, I can have more than one of these at the same time. 

Last week it rained a lot down in the Tucson Valley. Right around the start of the storm, I realized this just might be my best chance to have a little snow fun in my own state. Although Arizona ALWAYS is blessed with at last SOME snow, the past few years have been particularly barren. For a cross-country skier like me, that makes me seek trails in other states. But where there is rain in the valleys, there’s a fair bet there will be snow in the mountains.

I quickly talked a friend into carpooling (he’s a downhiller but likes Sunrise Ski Resort and is willing to split the ride) and off we rolled to the White Mountains. Sunrise has been around for ages and has three mountains for apparently all levels of skiing. The mountains are lovely, rolling things but it’s the area under the base on the way up the ‘ski road’ that invites me – a charming, sun-dappled forest where the trees grow tall and straight.

During the summer this area is a campground for Apache Sunrise. During the winter, the relatively maintained campground roads and high elevation provide a wide, open often snowy lane for Nordic skiing and snowshoeing. Or your best winter boots. Probably enough snow, too, if the skis were mine. Outfitters can be peculiar about their gear.

Being in a snowy forest is a treat too few people get to experience. Particularly alone. But cross-country skiers and winter hikers often crave solitude (that’s why we like to hang out in the forest and desert). An open forest, where the sun has the opportunity to cause the crystals of snow to sparkle, is particularly agreeable. Even though there IS a marked trail, if you don’t have to worry too much about running into something under the snow, taking a sans-trail walkabout in the deep, crusted stuff is very relaxing. It is hard to get lost since you have left your own breadcrumbs (ski or snowshoe track or postholes) to follow back to the car.

If you are lucky, the snow lies unbroken in sparkling mini-meadows. You walk through a beautiful, glistening carpet of white stuff. Birds whisper about you; tell-tale prints through the pines remind that other animals are watching. An open, snow-covered forest is toward the top of my list of places to enjoy in which one can safely get lost alone. You can always follow those breadcrumbs back from where you came.

When I am clearly the only person left on a particular patch of the planet, I like to find a place to sit on a sunny stump or convenient rock and breathe. In. Out. When I breathe in, in my head I send the oxygen directly to whichever body part sends signals it need a lot of help. Usually my neck. When I breathe out, my body feels like it can release into just a bit more space, giving my bones and joints just a little more room.

Ouija breathing gets me started on merging my full breath with the rhythm of the universe – local or otherwise. I hear the air whistle past my tongue with a sound like an ocean wave. Ebb. Flow. Out. In. Pretty soon my ears tune in to the din of the forest. Every forest has a din - peculiar sounds made up of noises like water trickling, birds chirping, wind blowing, leaves and needles quaking, bugs crawling and twigs snapping.

Breathing deeply, my hearing becomes acute. I might breathe silently or I might find the rhythm of the forest and breathe with that. Today, I found the perfect perch and deposited my daypack on the stump next to mine. The snow had generously accumulated on the long dark pine branches the day before sufficiently melting to freeze into small hanging icicles at their tips. Plenty of snow still hung all along the pine branches and cones but the crystals were becoming water, providing a slide for larger clumps of snow. In my meditating, I heard a large snow clump loudly plop on the fabric of my daypack.

I listened to the forest changing around me, the snow becoming part of the life-sustaining watershed feeding the rivers that feed the rivers that feed the rivers flowing to the Sea of Cortez and on to the Pacific Ocean. It sounded like rain taking its time in the falling. I heard the sound of the trickle of water under the snow’s crust. I swear I heard the pines drinking in the moisture. I may have heard the fish flip their fins in joy at the replenishment of their rivers.

This is what brings me to the Whites – or San Francisco Peaks – or the Bitterroots – or the Ozarks – or the….. Although I’d rather visit snow than live in it (as I have on occasion), I love Mother Nature’s Winter, to feel its icy kiss on my cheeks. Especially when there is snow to ski or hike or snowshoe, laying before me Mother Nature’s most beautiful cloak.

No comments:

Post a Comment